Saturday, May 10, 2014

How to make your own Laundry soap

What do you need you ask
2/3 cup bar soap (you'll want this grated)
1/2 cup washing soda ( not baking soda lol I've done it)
1/2 cup borax
A large bucket

Put a pot on the stove with 6 cups water and your soap, heat up until all the soap has melted. Set your heat to about medium, I never do and it seems like it's boiled over and I got to clean my stove at the same time. This step takes the longest, maybe 10 minutes but I've never timed it.

Once your soap is melted add the washing soda and borax, keep on heat until it has dissolved.
Move soap mixture to bucket, carefully it's like lava, and add 4 cups hot water ( as hot as your tap water will go. Give this all a good stir, then add 1 gallon and 6 cups (16 cups) hot water.

Let it sit and cool for at least one hour, stirring occasionally. Then just put it into some form a storage container,  I use rinsed out 2 liter bottles and that seems to work pretty well. I just kept one of my old Laundry detergent bottles that I fill up. Use 1/2 cup per load, same as my Landry detergent bottle lid.
Yes it takes some time, but it's pretty cheap to make, and good for sensitive skin. It makes me 3 to 4 2 liter bottles worth of soap, so with my family and how much laundry we have only really have to make it once maybe twice a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment