Monday, April 7, 2014

Mom can I have milk...

My little one's use to love milk, but with them starting school it seems like they are always trying to fight a cold. As soon as I hear a cold coming on I hate that question, because I would take them off milk. The kids were great about it, but I know they missed it. Well I got the idea to try soy milk. You should have seem my face when they LOVED IT!!!! My son can be kinda picky. So I wanted to share with you how we make soy milk... Don't tell anyone but it is so easy.
First Soak a cup of dry soy beans in water over night. Drain water off
.wpid-cam00134.jpg
Take one cup on beans and 3 to 3 1/2 of water and blend, and blend. You want to see all the beans cut up to small pieces.
wpid-cam00135.jpg
Stain off the liquid from the parts of beans.
wpid-cam00137.jpg
OK this may have been a bad time to take a picture. It won't all look like this all the time, it will run out like water. I found this really cool bag somewhere but cheese cloth would work too. You want to ring it out to really get everything good out of it.
Repeat and repeat until you are out of beans. It takes me three times.
wpid-cam00138.jpg
You'll see that there is a froth that floats on top. I take a spoon and remove it. Well most of it anyways.
wpid-cam00139.jpg
Now put it in a pot and start heating it up. You need to be able to dissolve sugar, and mix in some vanilla. Do you have to add that no, but my family likes it. I add about 1/2 cup of sugar, and a good splash of vanilla, but make it how you want it.
Oh a helpful hint if you go to an Asian market you can get the soy beans so much cheaper.
So mom can we have milk, is no longer a question I fear. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment